Welcome to my adventures and experiments in creativity. Where writing is like running: sometimes I know where I'm going, and sometimes I see where the mood takes me.


Thursday 31 January 2013

The Circle Of Life


Rarely a day goes by when the human race does not disappoint me in one way or another. Usually that disappointment is simply the result of my own frailties and failings.

But then you meet a new baby, not more than 50 hours since your friends welcomed him into the world, and it cheers you.

Global over-population and food shortages. Over-exploitation of natural resources and economic inequality. All these things go to the back of your mind for as long as you cradle that sleeping body in your arms.

I admire the bravery of my friends, being willing to raise a child in a world facing problems as great as it’s ever had to face. I’m not sure I have that bravery (yet), but the child knows nothing of these issues.

He is a blank canvas. You look at his tiny hands, his toothless gums. You look at all his POTENTIAL. There are so many things to show him, to teach him. I can imagine not just responsibility, but also a great liberty in knowing there are so many good things in the world he can be exposed to.

Embrace that responsibility, and that liberty, and what is to say he can’t be one who helps find the solution?

No comments:

Post a Comment